Re: [mirrorbrain] getting involved in MirrorBrain development

From: Peter Pöml <peter_at_poeml.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 01:30:38 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 03:20:40 +0200, Florian Effenberger wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> thanks for your fast reply!

Sometimes it takes a little longer ;)

> a few days ago, the Ubuntu 11.10 build we have used so far with 12.04
> has disappeared. I now managed to repackage it at
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/floeff/xUbuntu_11.10/
> and managed to make it install on 12.04 as well. There are still some
> issues with the Python modules, as I manually need to do touch
> /usr/share/pyshared/mb/__init.py__ && ln -s /usr/share/pyshared/mb
> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/mb && apt-get -f install to
> make it work. Clearly it's only a small flag or somesuch missing, and
> only reveals my lack of developer knowledge, but I'm getting there.
> ;-) However, compiling specifically for Ubuntu 12.04 didn't work out,
> but then, I didn't investigate further yet.

I see issue 122 about this. I'll look at it.

> > There is subversion repository, which lives on the host that also serves mirrorbrain.org, and write access is no problem. Of course, sending patches here makes it easy to look at them by anyone interested, but many changes don't need a discussion really, it depends. There is no procedure cast in stone. I think, just let me know and do it in whichever way works for you guys. Or if you want a different repository elsewhere, why not...
>
> Unless you have other plans, I think using the existing repositories
> makes a lot of sense. Our developers prefer git, but this should be no
> blocker in any way. :-) Cloning the repository at the OpenSUSE build
> service was just to create a Ubuntu 11.10 package, but if you can
> enable those builds again at your official repo, or grant me access to
> it so I can do so, my repository can vanish again.

It seems that Ubuntu 11.10 was renamed in the openSUSE build service (it
had 'x' in front in the past). I reenabled it. (Do you still need it? It
has been a while.)

I also added you as openSUSE build service maintainer to the
Apache:MirrorBrain project.

> If I send you some OSB usernames, and some SSH keys, can you grant a
> few trusted TDF contacts (most of them you should know anyways)
> access, so we can have a look? Before changing things, we'd poke you,
> but having access to learn surely would help.

Thanks for the offer! I'll send you svn credentials shortly.

> What I could contribute is documentation. I must confess I found the
> initial setup quite confusing, so I have written my own documentation
> that I am happy to contribute. It's based on Ubuntu 12.04, and is
> scriptable - e.g. you set variables for the MB database and
> username+password, and then can install everything automatically.
> That's the way we document our stuff, but it can easily be rewritten
> to a regular style.

Sounds great!

> How do you write and publish documentation at the moment? Via RST files?

Exactly.

> > That would be nice :)
>
> :-)
>
> > One big step forward with regard to availability of packaged binaries would be to start packaging MirrorBrain upstream on Debian / Ubuntu. It would be really great to have somebody with experience in this regard.
>
> So far, I lack insight here, but it sounds worthwhile learning a bit.
> At least right now, the OpenSUSE build service provided packages have
> some issues, but probably it's just my fault.

As long as the Debian/Ubuntu packages from the openSUSE build service
are a little bit cared for, they don't seem to be so bad.

> > There are probably some things in MirrorBrain that could be improved to make packaging easier (Makefiles, for instance) - to make it easier for upstream people. I guess, MirrorBrain is not exactly easy to package right now.
>
> One thing I have on screen at least for Ubuntu 12.04 is IPv6 mod_geoip
> - the Ubuntu package doesn't provide that yet, so bundling one that
> works with MirrorBrain makes sense.

I agree.

> Florian

Best,