[mirrorbrain] Template system

From: Peter Pöml <peter_at_poeml.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:26:14 +0100
Am 19.03.2012 um 21:54 schrieb Tom Albers:

> Templating the download page.
> We got some comments on the default .mirrorlist page you provide. We have 'hacked' it by a bunch of javascript calls so it looks like we want. But we are scared this will break on one of the future upgrades, so, would it be possible to use a templating system, so we can create our own template? Adjustments we made can be seen at: http://mirrorbrain-test.kde.org/ls-lR?mirrorlist and include:

Great to see such a nice styling.

> - big download button for the impatient
> - metalinks 'for reliable downloads' indicate the rest of the methods are unreliable. Removed.

Fair thought.

> - powered by mirrorbrain was just below the filename, this caused confusion, as there is no relation between the software and mirrorbrain itself, so we moved that to the footer.

> - bullet points before metalinks, etc.
> - user details to the bottom
> All in all, it would be easier when you could use a templating system. Would that be possible?

All good improvements, and I see the need not only to individualize styling, but also to improve some general things about these lists.

It's too late for me to say much about this subject now, except that I don't have a good idea for a template system that can be integrated in a non-obtrusive way.

Have you thought about using the metalink instead of the mirrorlist (the one you get when appending '.meta4' to a file's URL)? It contains all the data in structured XML, so if there's content management system running in front it could display the data in any conceivable way.

By the way, you can use '.mirrorlist' instead of '?mirrorlist'. The latter is the older way to trigger this reply.

So short,
Peter