[mirrorbrain] Installation on Ubuntu (was: Re: [mirror discuss] Re: mirrorbrain for sugar labs)

From: Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 20:02:08 +0200
Hi,

a note upgront: I would like to move this thread to the mirrorbrain_at_
list, because it's now about installation issues, and then we can keep
the discuss_at_ list for general discussion (not even MirrorBrain-
centered).

Am 28.09.2009 um 02:07 schrieb David Farning:
> Thanks Peter
>
> As promised, I created a recipe to to set up mirrorbrain for Sugar
> Labs at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/Content_Delivery_Network
> .

Great, thanks very much for that documentation!

I have integrated the info into the MirrorBrain docs; see
http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mirrorbrain/trunk/docs/installation/debian.rst?revision=7803&view=markup
respectively
http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/debian/

(I removed a few sugarlabs-specific bits from the shown config.)

If you would like to work on the documentation directly, it is a
matter of getting an svn checkout, editing the (restructuredText)
source files, and committing. See http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/intro/#how-to-improve-this-documentation
  for details. Just let me know and I'll make you an svn account! Or
just send a patch.

A few notes:

I suspect that on Debian/Ubuntu the package libaprutil1-dbd-pgsql
needs to be installed (the database adapter for mod_dbd); I added a
note about this to the docs.

I packaged mod_form as Debian/Ubuntu package today. The build for
Ubuntu 9.04 is turning up here soon:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/xUbuntu_9.04/
  (32bit package is already there).

While doing that, I noticed that I made a patch for mod_form, because
otherwise mod_autoindex stops working (due to the way that mod_form is
implemented). I sent the patch upstream AFAIR, but AFAICS it is not
integrated yet. I added the patch to http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/source/
, see also http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mirrorbrain/trunk/docs/installation/source.rst?r1=7781&r2=7800

Once we have the Debian/Ubuntu packages (and they work), the
installation will be much easier; the patch is already contained in
the build.

I am now working on .deb builds for mirrorbrain itself.

Your documentation is of great help here, because I can use the
dependencies that you have figured out already!

> I have asked our Bernie, the Sugar Labs sysadmin, to set up a ubuntu
> 9.04 vm so I can do more testing this week.  I have three vms set up
> as mirrors and one vm set up  as the mirror brain on my desktop.  I am
> downloading to thee laptops on a wired network.  The current bottle
> neck is the laptop harddrives.
>
> Every thing looks good so far.  Thanks for all your help.

Good to hear! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Peter