Re: [mirrorbrain] IPv6 geo location support?

From: Per Jessen <per_at_computer.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 22:33:10 +0100
On 05/02/15 20:23, peter green wrote:
> On 05/02/15 09:37, Per Jessen wrote:
>> IPv6 geo location data is becoming available, see e.g.
>>
>> http://www.tcpiputils.com/ipv6-geolocation-database
>>
>> ATM, mirrorbrain doesn't seem to make use of any IPv6 geo location data?
>> (at least not for download.opensuse.org)
 >
> I'm fairly sure mirrorbrain can use ipv6 geolocation data if it's set up
> to do so. My install certainly does.
>
> Having said that the maxmind geoipv6 data seems to be fairly crap, for
> example it seems to geolocate all freenet6 addresses to canada. The
> database you link to seems to have the same problem (at least from the
> headline it gives me).

Partial, semi accurate data is better than none - looking up my ipv6
prefixes gave me accurate information from the database above.

> Building a geolocation database from whois data is one thing but an
> accurate geolocation database requires you to go further than that since
> the country where an IP block is registered in the whois database may not
> be the country the IPs are used in.

My understanding is that is usually done from routing info. (e.g. RIPE
objects).

>  what do you see if you use ipv6 to browse to
>
> http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/0/0ad-data/0ad-data-common_0.0.17-1_all.deb.mirrorlist

I get two local mirrors, 23 in Europe. Looks good, much better than what I
get at download.opensuse.org.

TBH, I probably posted my question with a poor assumption of mirrorbrain
== download.opensuse.org.  The mirror redirection at raspbian.org is much
better than at download.opensuse.org.

cheers
Per