Re: [mirrorbrain] How to make Squid work with mirrorbrain

From: Anthony Bryan <anthonybryan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:19:08 -0400
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Per Jessen <per_at_computer.org> wrote:
> Well, my primary concern was caching the openSUSE repositories with
> Squid, but there is no reason why this shouldn't work with other
> mirrorbrain setups:
>
> http://wiki.jessen.ch/index/How_to_cache_openSUSE_repositories_with_Squid
>
> For the URL rewriting, it would still be nice to have a text or
> xml-format mirror list rather than parsing e.g. this page:
>
> http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/all.html
>
> All comments very welcome.

hi Per,

very cool!

we are working on something similar for Google Summer of Code:

Use Metalink to discover requests for the same files from different
mirrors and redirect clients to mirrors that are already cached
( http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2012/nottheoilrig/13001
)

as you can see, we're using Metalink (XML & HTTP) as the mirror list,
so it doesn't have to be customized as much to one project but will
work for any that uses Metalink.

perhaps if the ATS version is done early, we can collaborate with you?

I understand why you don't want segmented downloading but most
Metalink clients allow that to be turned off.
also, wget & curl will support Metalink in the next few months.
--
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
  )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads