Re: [mirrorbrain] possible start of a web frontend

From: Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 22:56:34 +0100
Am 02.01.2010 um 09:29 schrieb Cory Fields:

> Quite impressive for a POC... This is IMO a must-have feature. How are
> you planing to control access?

Django has decent support for OpenID. Since the people working on a
mirror infrastructure are not necessarily tied into a single
authentication infrastructure, and given that OpenID providers are
more and more prevalent (Yahoo, AOL, Google, ...), and it kind of
yields reusable accounts, I think it would be the way to go.

On the other hand, for the start it would be trivial to simply use the
built-in user handling of Django, which provides all what's needed.
And the nice thing about Django's OpenID implementation is that (as
far as I understood it) you can link its own user accounts to the ones
authenticated via OpenID.

For most setups, "simple" user accounts will suffice I guess. On the
other hand, mirror admins could benefit very much from being given
access to certain features via the web frontend, and it would be
convenient for them if they don't have to deal with too many accounts,
for all those projects that they are mirroring...

Which is one reason why I wonder if there should actually be a
_single_ mirror database, which is used by all the projects. It could
run as web application in the Google App Engine, for instance, and
store all mirror metadata (addresses, contacts, base URLs, and list of
projects that the mirror hosts on which relative URL). The MirrorBrain
instances of various projects could sync this common data with that
central database. Food for thought.

Peter