Re: [mirrorbrain] How to tell if mirrorbrain is redirecting

From: Peter Poeml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 00:57:58 +0200
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 05:25:54 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> > So to verify that MirrorBrain is redirecting correctly, you could look
> > into the access_log in the first place. The access_log snippet you
> > attached contains only "200" responses; thus, no redirects happen. (We'll
> > soon find out why not!)
>
> Ahh so we were not getting any redirects that make sense.

After replying, I realized that I should have mentioned something that
might not be obvious: If no mirror is found for a particular file,
MirrorBrain just sends the file itself. So the result isn't an error
condition... which might be counterintuitive at first, and not what you
may have expected. This behaviour allows for movements in the file tree
without and to serve freshly arrived content before it's on the mirrors
(enough bandwidth provided).

> >> Also, I am still getting could not resolve continent, referer:
> >> http://mirrorbrain-testing.sugarlabs.org/soas/repositories/2/ error.
> >

> > Hm, did you already update to the newer mod_geoip that I packaged last
> > week? With that, it should work fine and this error should disappear
> > with the upgrade.
>
> I installed mirror brain via the packages you described after you made
> that up date.

Hm, for some reason, the old mod_geoip is still installed (now looking
on your machine):

$ dpkg --list libapache2-mod-geoip
[...]
    libapache2-mod-geoip                         1.1.8-2ubuntu2

But apt-get offers the new package. I'd guess that after "apt-get
update; apt-get upgrade" mod_geoip should be really up to date.

Peter