Re: [mirrorbrain] Re: Installation on Ubuntu (was: Re: [mirror discuss] Re: mirrorbrain for sugar labs)

From: Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:49:59 +0200
Hi David,

Am 28.09.2009 um 20:57 schrieb David Farning:

> On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> a note upgront: I would like to move this thread to the
>> mirrorbrain_at_ list,
>> because it's now about installation issues, and then we can keep the
>> discuss_at_ list for general discussion (not even MirrorBrain-centered).
>> Am 28.09.2009 um 02:07 schrieb David Farning:
>>>
>>> Thanks Peter
>>>
>>> As promised, I created a recipe to to set up mirrorbrain for Sugar
>>> Labs at
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/Content_Delivery_Network
>>> .
>>

>> Great, thanks very much for that documentation!
>>
>> I have integrated the info into the MirrorBrain docs; see
>> http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mirrorbrain/trunk/docs/installation/debian.rst?revision=7803&view=markup
>> respectively
>> http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/debian/
>>
>> (I removed a few sugarlabs-specific bits from the shown config.)
>
> Ok sounds good.  I'll remove the installation instructions from the
> sugar labs wiki and point to the instructions at
> http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/debian/ .

Cool. Thank you.

>> If you would like to work on the documentation directly, it is a
>> matter of
>> getting an svn checkout, editing the (restructuredText) source
>> files, and
>> committing. See
>> http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/intro/#how-to-improve-this-
>> documentation for
>> details. Just let me know and I'll make you an svn account! Or just
>> send a
>> patch.
>
> If you set up a svn account, I'll continue to work on the source docs
> as we get this set up for Sugar Labs.

That's very nice of you.

>> A few notes:
>>
>> I suspect that on Debian/Ubuntu the package libaprutil1-dbd-pgsql
>> needs to
>> be installed (the database adapter for mod_dbd); I added a note
>> about this
>> to the docs.
>>

>> I packaged mod_form as Debian/Ubuntu package today. The build for
>> Ubuntu
>> 9.04 is turning up here soon:
>> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/xUbuntu_9.04/
>>  (32bit
>> package is already there).
>>

>> While doing that, I noticed that I made a patch for mod_form, because
>> otherwise mod_autoindex stops working (due to the way that mod_form
>> is
>> implemented). I sent the patch upstream AFAIR, but AFAICS it is not
>> integrated yet. I added the patch to
>> http://mirrorbrain.org/docs/installation/source/, see also
>> http://svn.mirrorbrain.org/viewvc/mirrorbrain/trunk/docs/installation/source.rst?r1=7781&r2=7800
>>
>> Once we have the Debian/Ubuntu packages (and they work), the
>> installation
>> will be much easier; the patch is already contained in the build.
>>
>> I am now working on .deb builds for mirrorbrain itself.
>>
>> Your documentation is of great help here, because I can use the
>> dependencies
>> that you have figured out already!
>
> Another thing I noticed this morning is that something is wrong with
> the permission on the GeoIP.dat file.  When installed according to the
> directions, I get a file not found error when adding a new mirror via
> ./mirrordoctor new ....

Okay, that we need to look into. I guess the path where the
mirrordoctor looks for the database file is not good for the place
where Ubuntu puts the file. I think I'll be able to reproduce this
shortly...

>>> I have asked our Bernie, the Sugar Labs sysadmin, to set up a ubuntu
>>> 9.04 vm so I can do more testing this week.  I have three vms set up
>>> as mirrors and one vm set up  as the mirror brain on my desktop.
>>> I am
>>> downloading to thee laptops on a wired network.  The current bottle
>>> neck is the laptop harddrives.
>>>
>>> Every thing looks good so far.  Thanks for all your help.
>>
>> Good to hear! Let me know if I can help in any way.
>
> OK, as you bring the packages on line, I'll create a installing from
> packages page as written by someone who does not under stand
> mirrorbrain very well.

That'd be cool. I have experimented a bit (as someone who doesn't
understand Ubuntu very well ;-) and I managed to do the following:

sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
[...]
# MirrorBrain repository for Jaunty (9.04)
deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Apache:/MirrorBrain/xUbuntu_9.04/
  /

sudo apt-get install libapache2-mod-form libapache2-mod-form-dev

And it worked!
I guess it should work for you as well.
(Meanwhile, the package is built and published for both 32 an 64 bit.)

Peter