Re: [mirrorbrain] Minimise return footprint

From: Peter Pöml <peter_at_poeml.de>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:13:02 +0100
On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:12:39AM +0100, Peter Pöml wrote:
> I just figured that it should be easy to remove the headers (as a
> workaround for now) with the Apache module mod_headers. However, I was
> surprised that this doesn't work, the reason apparently being that the
> response is not a HTTP 200 response, but a 302, and that
> mod_mirrorbrain's headers are set in an Apache-internal structure called
> err_headers_out, contrary to headers_out which might also be used.
>
> err_headers_out is what I chose a long time ago, but I remember that I
> wasn't sure if it's the right choice. But even Apache developers are not
> sure about it:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/201209.mbox/%3C50472B28.5020905_at_gmx.net%3E
>
> So maybe it's better to use the headers_out table instead of
> err_headers_out to set Apache headers with mod_mirrorbrain; I just need
> to check if it has any disadvantages (or if it just was a bad choice).
> In fact, the most important header of all, "Location", is put into the
> headers_out table (and it works).

I just checked: Apache-internally, headers stored in "err_headers_out"
will be visible. Headers stored in the more intuitive "headers_out"
array won't. So it isn't an option.

On the other hand, headers in err_headers_out (that we need to use)
cannot be modified with mod_headers. Bummer!

And what looks like a quirk to me: the Location header _is_ visible in
the response, even if it's in the other array (headers_out). Unfair!
Probably a special case, since our reply is a 302.

Alright, we should just make our headers configurable and be happy...

> The headers should be set in a way so that they can easily be tweaked
> (or removed) with mod_headers. Of course, not generating them in the
> first place is more elegant than removing them later.

Peter