[mirrorbrain] A 2009 retrospective

From: Peter Poeml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:29:34 +0100
Hi,

I recently tried to compile a list of things that happened for
MirrorBrain during last year. I was astonished to find that there was
much more than I would have thought:

- 18 releases (and a formalized release process, and signed tarballs)
- new platforms supported (Debian Lenny, Ubuntu Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic)
- packaging for all these platforms
- new users (Sugar Labs, FSF, XBMC, OpenOffice.org)
- new bug tracker & new web site
- VirtualBox appliance for download
- much progress on the Metalink Internet Draft
- concept for download statistics - and later, the implementation
- a public presentation at FOSDEM
- collaboration with SourceForge.net
- appreciation by USENIX security study

- and lots and lots of small improvements on all ends:
- reimplementation of database in PostgreSQL for much better size and speed
- introduction of mod_asn, an Apache module to look up routing data
  (http://mirrorbrain.org/mod_asn/)
- support for hardcoded fallback mirrors
- documentation (an unfinished project...)
- notifications for changes in the mirror metadata
- integration with mirmon (http://people.cs.uu.nl/henkp/mirmon/)
- introduced tool for job locking http://code.google.com/p/withlock/

Wow!

Thanks to everyone who helped. Keep up the good work!
Peter