Re: [mirrorbrain] Re: [IAEP] [Systems] Content Delivery Network is in production

From: Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 23:59:24 +0100
Am 12.10.2009 um 18:10 schrieb David Farning:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Yama Ploskonka
> <yamaplos_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> wow wow wow, this is a way cool concept.  Local updates that would
>> be truly
>> local automagically.  I really would want to know how this ends up
>> working
>> for the large deploys , esp. Uruguay.  I have been told that some
>> servers
>> are quite overstressed already as it seems (correct me here please)
>> that as
>> the machines there are booted they automatically try to connect
>> somewhere
>> OLPCish.  If it were true, I guess that should be fixed.
>
> Some where between 80 and 90% of activity bundle download traffic
> comes from Uruguary:)  I am hoping to find a couple of mirrors in
> Uruguay in the next couple of days.  If you have any leads....  We
> need room for about 30GB of content.

If you have candidate mirrors that don't have enough space to host the
full 30GB, they could just host the most popular files; since
MirrorBrain sees which files are present when it scans the mirror, it
will use the mirror for only the files that it serves. It doesn't
matter if that's only 1GB, or only a single file.

Another incentive might be to be able to mark a mirror (in the
database) as to be used only by the autonomous system, or by the
mirror's network prefix. That way, additional, unwanted traffic can be
minimized.

> Yes, .82 deployments are set to communicate directly with olpc
> servers.  This has been updated in .86.  Another option is for Sugar
> Labs to work with the VIG to make our mirror system available to OLPC.
>
> david

Peter