Re: [mirror discuss] Re: mirrorbrain for sugar labs

From: David Farning <dfarning_at_sugarlabs.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 19:07:41 -0500
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 6:14 AM, Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 25.09.2009, at 02:40, David Farning wrote:
>
>> Peter ask me to continue a private thread on this mailing list.  Also
>> CCing Matthew Zeier from mozilla infrastructure.  I was looking for
>> Mozilla's solution and he pointed me in the direction of mirrorbrain.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Peter Pöml <poeml_at_cmdline.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David!
>>>
>>> thank you for writing. Interesting to learn about Sugar. It sounds
>>> exciting!
>>>
>>> Would you mind me resending my reply with the MirrorBrain mailing list
>>> Cc'ed, and continue discussion there? I think it would be great material
>>> for
>>> the list and could provide insight to others. It's also great to see some
>>> activity there :-) (If not, no problem at all.)
>>
>> done

> it doesn't matter much, the same people are subscribed there - the discuss
> list was meant more for discussion of mirror issues regardless of
> MirrorBrain; I should have said that. But I guess it doesn't matter that
> much!)

>>> That's not nothing ;) I'd say it is an amount where a carefully set up
>>> infrastructure with mirrors makes sense. Also, it sounds like there would
>>> be
>>> a lot of users that one wants to keep happy, and who would benefit from
>>> every improvement. And from looking
>>
>> We are currently running our infrastructure from the FSF's colocation
>> facility.  So I include keeping our generous host happy pretty high on
>> the list.
>

> Yes, understandably.

>>> I see, http://activities.sugarlabs.org/ is very similar as
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/, and it offers download links to lots of .xo
>>> files, and redirects to
>>> http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/activities/ from where the files
>>> are
>>> downloaded.
>>> For now, I only note the redirection to d.sl.o, and no further
>>> redirection
>>> from there.
>>>
>>> I also see other downloads, like
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick which links to some
>>> mirrors.

>>> Okay, so from what I would guess at this stage is that d.sl.o could
>>> redirect
>>> to the mirrors, instead of delivering the .xo files all by itself;
>>> correct?
>>> That would be exactly where MirrorBrain is could step in.
>>

>> Yes, the two main pieces are the sugar on a stick images and the .xo
>> files.
>

> Okay.

>>> Yes, definitely, the only thing to keep in mind is that deploying it
>>> costs
>>> time, but I would think that it is worth the effort. If you have very few
>>> mirrors, it can be the life-saver for the releases -- and if you
>>> gradually
> [...]
Thanks Peter

As promised, I created a recipe to to set up mirrorbrain for Sugar
Labs at http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Infrastructure_Team/Content_Delivery_Network
.

I have asked our Bernie, the Sugar Labs sysadmin, to set up a ubuntu
9.04 vm so I can do more testing this week.  I have three vms set up
as mirrors and one vm set up  as the mirror brain on my desktop.  I am
downloading to thee laptops on a wired network.  The current bottle
neck is the laptop harddrives.

Every thing looks good so far.  Thanks for all your help.

david