Re: [mirrorbrain] Re: Problem with your system??

From: peter green <plugwash_at_p10link.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 23:48:34 +0000
On 15/02/16 21:14, Peter Pöml wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for the detailed report. I see the problem. The thing is, GU is a small country without mirrors, and MirrorBrain doesn’t know that it is better connected to US mirrors than to Asian/Australian mirrors. MirrorBrain looks for mirrors in the same country first (there aren’t any in Guam), then in the continent (Ocenania has a few, but they are slow, as you mention), so it falls back to geographic coordinates, which yields the mirrors in Japan, Australia, New Zealand, which are not well connected to Guam, too.
>
> A fix is possible. However, I can’t add it in software, but it needs to be added by operators of mirror networks, i.e. administrators running MirrorBrain on their origin/redirecting server.

I think it's a cop-out to say this can't be fixed in the software.

IMO Mirrorbrains "world model" based on regions and countries is rather
flawed. As well as suffering because internet connectivity is not
uniform it also preffers a country in the same region over a nearby
country that happens to be just over a region border (e.g. a user in
Turkey will preffer a Japanese mirror over a German mirror).

I wonder if a better approach would be a combination of distance and
adjustment factors for countries that are known to be especially well
(USA, western europe) or poorly connected.