[mirrorbrain] Multiple trees

From: Peter Pöml <Peter_at_poeml.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:06:31 +0100
Am 19.03.2012 um 21:54 schrieb Tom Albers:
> Multiple instances.
> We currently offer ftp.kde.org via a mirror network. But the last year or so, more data for applications is provided via files.kde.org. I would like to know if it is possible to set this up on the mb-server we already have setup for for ftp.kde.org. Can it be added in a different virtualhost config within apache, how does that work with the dbd module configuration? Do we get a list like I can see at: http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/all.html with different columns? Anyhow, what do you suggest us to do...

You can set up multiple MB instances on one vhost without problems. The instances will be completely separate, sharing only the database server (not the database).

Just make sure the DBDParams string is unique per vhost. Otherwise, DBD won't be able to associate the right string with a vhost.

You'll need just the DBDriver and DBDParams directives per vhost.

The size of the DBD pool can be configured once, globally. Example:

<IfModule mod_dbd.c>
   # threaded MPMs only
   <IfModule !prefork.c>
           DBDMin  0
           DBDMax  32
           DBDKeep 4
           DBDExptime 10
   </IfModule>
</IfModule>

The disconnectedness between the vhosts means that you'll have to run separate "mirrorprobe" commands, and, what you might not like, maintain a separate mirror database. This duplication can be a hassle of course, and I recommend generous use of 'mb show' to copy and paste stuff into 'mb edit' window.
mb export --format=postgresql could potentially be useful to dump mirrors in a form that can be read by PostgreSQL (it dumps/omits the right fields).

You will want to make use of mb's -b argument to switch instances, or set MB=<instancename> in the environment.

And, not to forget, you'll have to list the two instances (each with a name) at the top of /etc/mirrorbrain.conf.

There are good arguments for consolidation of multiple servers, I guess. (MirrorBrain works well with mirrors that mirror only incomplete trees, subdirectories, or even single files, as long as they are located at the same place in the tree.)

Regarding the list you see at http://mirrors.opensuse.org/list/all.html: it reflects a single vhost. It is a way to deal with mirrors that mirror only parts of your file tree, to make a bit transparent which mirror has what. That data can be generated with 'mb mirrorlist -f xhtml' after defining "marker" files with 'mb markers'.

Peter